Trademark Basics overview:
- How trademarks, copyrights, patents, domain names, and business name registrations all differ.
- Why any new business should select a trademark that will be both federally registrable and legally protectable, highlighting factors critical when choosing a mark.
- The importance of doing a complete search and whether to use an attorney.
- What to do if another trademark owner sends a "cease-and-desist" letter.
- What happens after registration.
- Basic information about patents
- How to search by classification via Espacenet and USPTO databases
- Tips for legal assistance
Special Guest Craig Morris' biographical information:
Craig Morris works within the Office of the Commissioner for Trademarks in the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), Alexandria, Virginia. Currently, he is the Managing Attorney for Trademark Educational Outreach. For 14 years prior, he was the Managing Attorney for the Trademark Electronic Application System. Mr. Morris has been with the USPTO since 1983.
Registration will begin at 9 a.m. with the trademark presentation starting at 9:30 a.m. Patent searching will begin at 11:15 a.m.
Parking is available for a fee in the Cone Visitor's parking garage on the campus of UNC Charlotte. Go here for more information on parking. Access to Atkins Library is also available via light rail. A map of the transit routes from the Main UNC Charlotte light rail stop is availablehere. The green and gold routes will take you to a stop near the library.