An Entrepreneurial Leader: UNC Charlotte’s Office of Research Commercialization & Development (ORCD) is one of the country’s best in putting intellectual capital to work. The University leverages its strong tradition of applied research and its progressive stance on licensing to transfer technology to the marketplace. Nestled in one of the financial centers of the United States, UNC Charlotte attributes its success in mining and commercializing advanced technologies to community support and its spirit of collaboration. The Office of Research Commercialization and Development's commitment to economic development has resulted in the formation of companies, jobs and the addition of millions of dollars to the economy. Learn more about the Office of Research Commercialization & Development here.
Services and Support
UNC Charlotte’s Office of Research Commercialization & Development (ORCD) identifies, protects, and commercializes university research and intellectual property. ORCD works closely with faculty, students, and staff to help bring new technology and innovation to market. The office is available to assist the UNC Charlotte community in the following areas:
- Invention and Patent Process. The office is available to review new research and ideas to discuss intellectual property protection strategies such as patents, copyrights, trademarks, etc.
- Commercializing UNC Charlotte technology through start-up company formation and out-licensing transactions.
- Bayh-Dole Compliance. All inventions which results from federally funded research must be properly reported and managed under the Federal Bayh-Dole Act.
- Confidentiality and Non-disclosure Agreements (CDAs and NDAs). ORCD is the main point of contact for all confidentiality and non-disclosure agreements between UNC Charlotte employees and outside parties.
- Material Transfer Agreements (MTAs).
- Conflict of interest.
The Office of Research Commercialization & Development (ORCD) is the main point of contact for all confidentiality and non-disclosure agreements between UNC Charlotte employees and outside parties. Faculty and staff are not permitted to sign confidentiality agreements. Please contact our office at 704-687-8012 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org to facilitate the CDA or NDA process.
Technology commercialization is about transforming ideas and inventions into commercial products and services. Commercialization requires several important steps including protection of intellectual property, valuation, research and opportunity assessment, patenting and licensing, in addition to all of the normal business start-up activities.
New Invention Submission
The Office of Research Commercialization & Development (ORCD) will review inventions for university faculty, staff, and students and provide feedback and recommendations on intellectual property strategies. To begin the process, please download the invention report form and return it to our office by email or in person.
Learn how the Office of Research Commercialization & Development can assist you:
- Services & Support
- Confidentiality Agreements
- Faculty Patent Committees
- Material Transfer Agreements
- New Invention Submission
- Available Technologies
Office of Research Commercialization & Development