Ventureprise launch National Science Foundation (NSF) I-Corps Program
Ventureprise Launch NSF I-Corps is for UNC Charlotte faculty, students and staff to explore the commercial possibilities of their ideas and research. This six week program provides University innovators with commercialization advice, training and funding to identify potential customers. Upon completion of the program, teams will have gained:
- 'Lab to Market' knowledge that can lead to commercial success
- Up to $5,000 in NSF funding for prototype development, conference & customer interview travel, and materials & supplies related to customer identification
- Experience in the NSF funding pipeline and additional funding opportunities in excess of $1 Million
"Have a better understanding of the connection between academic research and technological innovation."
Meesha Kaushal, Ph.D. Participant
Summer 2021 Virtual Cohort
6/2, 6/16, 6/23, 6/30, 7/7, Final Presentations:7/14
Ventureprise Launch NSF I-Corps Program Statistics
156 Teams/356 Students/94 Faculty
Dr. Margaret Kocherga recently received her Ph.D. (College of Liberal Arts & Sciences) while completing the National I-Corps Program. After graduation, she launched Light and Charge Solutions. Read her story here.
The NSF I-Corps program prepares participants to extend their focus beyond the university laboratory, and accelerates the economic and societal benefits of NSF-funded, basic-research projects that are ready to move toward commercialization.
Through I-Corps, NSF participants learn to identify valuable product opportunities that can emerge from academic research, and gain skills in entrepreneurship through training in customer discovery and guidance from established entrepreneurs.
Applying to the Program
- A two person team, including an Academic Lead (Faculty Member) and Entrepreneurial Lead (Student or Staff Member) with relevant knowledge of the research. Each team will be made of at least one Academic Lead and Entrepreneurial Lead. We welcome teams with multiple Entrepreneurial leads. Ventureprise will assist in team formation if needed
- STEM based research that has produced substantive data. This may include, but not limited to, proposed ventures related to physical scienes, life sciences, software, informatics, energy, educational technology, nursing and architecture
Teams will be required to participate in at least six weeks of entrepreneurial seminars and programming (1.5 hours weekly). Additionally, they will spend 1-3 hours per week completing approximately 30 customer interviews.
Teams will be expected to make a commercial viability decision at the end of the program. Successful completion makes teams eligible to compete for additional NSF opportunities including the $50,000 NSF I-Corps Team program. The commercialization insights developed will enable teams to create compelling applications for multiple funding opportunities such as:
- $50K NSF I-Corps Team
- $250K NSF PFI: Air TT
- $256K NSF SBIR/STTR Phase I
- $1M NSF SBIR/STTR Phase II
- $500K NSF SBIR/STTR Phase IIB
- $50K+ Charlotte Venture Challenge and Pitch Day
- $50K NC IDEA Seed Grant
- $10K NC IDEA Micro Grant
- $50K Venturewell Student e-team Program
Applications and Information
For more information, contact Devin Collins, Co-Principal Investigator
Devin.Collins@uncc.edu or 704 687-8058